Wednesday 8 February 2012

The One with the Sanity Check

After a decent gap of a couple of weeks we geared ourselves up for our next challenge. This time our group (I don't know if a group of 2 people counts as a group) had a new member. Kshitij on his Schwinn Sportera. A real energetic guy. Very soon he'll be walking a distance of 100Kms over a couple of days. As you can infer from the previous sentence, like us some screws in his brain also need tightening. Jagan of course, needs no introduction (provided you have read my earlier posts).

An anecdote: Jagan bought the cateye blinker for Rs 850/- when he bought his bike. Kshitij and myself carry the local blinker that costs about Rs. 80/- . His reasoning was that the cateye blinker does quality blinking. Anyways, it so happened that a day before the ride he found out that the batteries of his blinker have drained off and need replacing. Although, the weird 1.5V batteries were no where to be found and he had to buy the local blinker that does not do much of the quality blinking.

The blogs shared on BBC had given us a fair idea about the ride to Krishnagiri. Our plan comprised of two steps:
Step1 : Reach Krishnagiri as early as possible
Step2 : Return back to Bangalore as early as possible.
Simple enough.
Just before the ride began
This time I woke up early and called up Jagan at about 4:45 AM. He picked up the call but from his "enthusiastic" voice I could tell that he was going to get late. Anyways, it was about 6:15AM when the three of us met each other near Sony World, Kormangla.

Kshitij was riding his bike after a long time. Sometimes things go wrong. When he reached Sony World he pointed out that his mudguard was rubbing against his front tire. After a little discussion and paying heed to the experts (Jagan's) suggestion we decide to remove the mudguard and continue with the ride. While removing the mudguard we somehow managed to pull out the small rod that goes through the center of the tire. Fixing it back is apparently not that easy as the tire keeps wobbling if you don't fix it properly. Jagan did try to put his best efforts but to no avail. Jagan wasn't rally in the favor of continuing the ride but agreed to ride until electronic city and then decide whether or not to continue further.

So we started from Sony world at about 6:40 AM. We rode at peaceful pace upto electronic city. (I wanted to take the flyover but was voted out) There Kshitij's rear tire got punctured. We(Jagan) had experience with fixing punctures. But when fixed, the tire formed a weird shape which wasn't concurrent with the rim. Now it was getting risky for kshitij to continue with the ride and Jagan suggested not to. So he decided to ride until the end of electronic city flyover and then return.

After the flyover we exchanged some stuffs from Kshitij that we thought might be useful and then continued further while Kshitij returned. This could have been his first long ride, I could tell he wasn't happy but had no choice.

Jagan : Smiling/Laughing/Wondering :?
From here on, Jagan and I rode at normal pace and we were at hosur in a jiffy. We had our breakfast at Udupi Uphaar. A decent restaurant I'd say. We did get a lot of strange looks but I guess we were prepared for it. We continued with ride after taking a few snaps.
The ride was seeming like a cakewalk. Which was freaking us out. It only meant that we were riding downhill and return would be most difficult. The blogs on BBC had done a decent job of scaring us already. Given the delayed start, long breaks and effortless pace we were surprised that we reached Krishnagiri before noon. We tried to look for a decent restaurant around but they all had closed doors and we weren't comfortable eating lunch without being able to keep a close watch on our rides. We did find a coconut vendor and gulped down the water from a couple of coconuts each. Later we found a fruit vendor and bought a few bananas and oranges. We refilled our water pouches and decided to have lunch along the way. The constant stare of the people around was really making us(Me) uncomfortable and we didn't even manage to click any snaps.

We started the ride back at about 12:05PM and stopped at a secluded spot on the highway at about 12:30 PM. Had some fruits which tasted gooood. Took a few snaps. 


The sun was up and it was hawt. Plus, there was the added obstacle of steady uphill. Our ride back to bangalore was getting real scary. After a few minutes of discussions/calculations we realized that the easiest way to finish the ride was to man up and climb back on the saddle. Which we did.

The "man up" thought laughed back at us the moment we started riding. Thanks to the water pouches on our backs that we were able to keep ourselves hydrated throughout. In fact we started appreciated every thing that we had bought before coming on this ride. My butts couldn't thank those padded shorts enough and my palms knew that they were alive because of the gloves. The lonely, hawt and steady uphill seemed unending. I so wanted to stop. To add it up my brain started the sanity check on me. I started finding answers to questions like : Who am I? What am I doing here? What exactly am I doing and why? I don't know how but these questions cheered me up. The answer was simple : The person is in fact Insane. I laughed out loud (Thanks to the lonely road nobody else had to witness the insanity :P). I am sure my fellow cyclists on BBC and elsewhere must have had such sanity checks atleast once if not more. I could share the laugh with you, others keep wondering. Anyways, I decided that whatever happens I will finish 20Kms before taking any rest. Which meant I'd have to be on the saddle for atleast an hour and a half. I was about to give up after 12Kms but then a like a beautiful oasis I saw vehicles disappearing at the end of the road. Finally : a downhill.
I pedaled with all my energy and the downhill did not disappoint me. The cool breeze that continued running across my face was so .... peaceful. About 10 minutes after the downhill, my odometer read 100Km (I had to reset it along the way) marking the finish of my 20Kms, I took a snap of it and then stopped near a truck, hiding behind its shade. Jagan took another 20 minutes to show up. 
The only snap of wither of us riding a
bike and he has to look back

I was surprised that he didn't stop before. Later, when asked he said, "How could I ever live with myself knowing you finished that climb in one go and I couldn't". So many funny retorts rushed through my mind when he said that but didn't mouth any of them. As long as it works, let's let it.

We stopped for about half an hour here. We tried to calculate what went wrong. The Sun, the heat and yes, the Lunch?? We were on fruits (2 bananas and an orange). We could recollect seeing a McD joint after Hosur and it was only the thought of a tasty burger that motivated us to pedal forward. 


I have special bonding with McD for so many reasons. It has been the meeting place for most of my dates. Most of my friends prefer Dominoes, Pizza Hut or KFC but I'll choose McD over them anyday. Those soft sinful tasty burgers are just irresistible. It used be one of my most visited place an year ago ;). I started avoiding it later for obvious reasons. The best part is, everytime I take first bite the shape of the burger resembles that of laughing face. Its like the burger is laughing back at me and saying, "Haha!! Got you!!".



Incidentally, McD was just 3Kms down (sorry, up) the road. We filled our stomachs and satiated our thirst (literally and figuratively). Took a few snaps and started riding again. 







The sun was still hot and we were still pedaling uphill but this time we knew what was coming and our stomachs weren't empty. We covered the next 20 Kms in what seemed like a looong time (it was 80 mins as per clock) but we weren't as exhausted as before. Also, many thanks to the awesome playlist (compiled by my special someone). It helped me stay calm and maintain a rhythm. My flatmates had gone to hogenakkal and we crossed paths at this point. The looks on their faces were confusing and usually I'd have pushed for an explanation but needless to say, I was too tired. They left after we took a few snaps. The auto function could have enabled a snap of all of us together but again, I was tired to suggest/explain. They left after that and we rested for some more time.
From here on we had no trouble pedaling. No more scorching heat and not too much of uphill. Throughout the ride a lot of people asked a lot of questions and I answered as innovatively as my weary self allowed.
We had decided to watch the newly released "Chronicle" after finishing the ride. So were moving at faster speed. At about 7:40PM we reached home. Booked the tickets as soon as was possible. Had dinner at the food world in forum and caught the 10PM show at PVR. After which I slumbered into the deepest limbo. 

3 comments:

  1. Nice ride report....very well written, it was done on 4th of this month right, yes it was too much of heat, i was also there on road doing 200k on Mysore road (did little beyond Mandya and came back).
    krishnagiri and back is an awesome route to explore and superb climbs on return,heat, fatigue makes it really tough ride to remember.
    wish you many more wonderful and fun rides!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Anil :)

      Good to know that it really was because of the Hot Sun!!

      We were getting worried :D

      Delete